NCST is continuing our listening sessions for our community partners to hear about how COVID-19 and local conditions are affecting their work as well as showcasing guest panelists in the field to offer further support in our communities. NCST will also provide a policy update. Calls will be held twice a month on Wednesdays from 12:30 – 1:30 EST for the rest of the 2020 calendar year.
Although we are holding weekly and bi-weekly calls, NCST understands that the local situation may be changing daily. Please reach out to your Community Development Manager or Asset Manager for assistance on specific properties or to provide feedback you feel would be helpful as we continue our national conversations.
NCST Webinar Recordings & Notes
Bi-weekly Community Impact Briefing: July 22, 2020 | featuring guest panelist Tony Pickett of Grounded Solutions Network
Bi-weekly Community Impact Briefing: August 5th 2020| featuring an in-depth look at policy updates with Julia Gordon
Community Impact Briefing: January 13th 2021 | featuring an in-depth discussion with Julia Gordon on the 2021 policy outlook
- Advocated for Congress to include the following provisions in emergency legislation:
- A foreclosure and eviction moratorium, excluding vacant properties;
- Mortgage forbearances (temporarily suspending payments) of 6 months or more if needed, not only for owner-occupants, but also for investors who own single-family (1-4 unit) properties, with the provision that landlords receiving payment relief pass that relief along to their tenants;
- Assistance for non-profits; and
- The inclusion of construction loans in any provisions for payment relief on other credit products.
- Requested that our nation’s regulators halt all non-COVID-19-related rulemaking until the current emergency is over.
NCST will continue to advocate for robust emergency measures to stem the impacts of COVID-19 on affordable housing and our communities. Moving forward, NCST will:
- Ensure our partners can continue to engage in single-family rehabilitation;
- Look for ways to help localities that are dealing with frozen real estate markets; and
- Advocate for policies to ensure homeowners benefit from the eventual real estate recovery.
NCST COVID-19 Policy Advocacy Resources
Joint Release: Advocates Applaud Senate Bill Fund to Help Millions of Families Keep Their Homes; Urge Inclusion in COVID Stimulus Bill (2/5)
Joint Letter: Letter to President-Elect Biden on Foreclosure Prevention in the Stimulus (1/17/2021)
Joint Letter: Comment to the Veterans Administration on Partial Claim Proposal (1/8/2021)
Joint Letter: Comment to the Federal Housing Finance Agency on Enterprise Regulatory Capital Framework (8/31)
Joint Letter: Letter to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Re: Language Access Roundtable Discussion (8/24)
Joint Letter: FHA & FHFA Forbearance Letter (6/24)
NCST Letter to the Federal Reserve: Expanding the Federal Reserve Main Street Lending Program to Nonprofits (6/22)
Joint Letter: Emergency Rental Assistance and Rental Market Stabilization Act (5/6)
Joint Request: Single Consumer-facing Portal on COVID Housing Relief (5/4)
Joint Letter: Housing Industry Coalition Letter in Support of Rental Assistance (5/4)
Joint Letter: Letter to Housing Regulators on Tenant Protections in CARES Act (5/1)
Joint Letter: Renewed Call for Credit and Debt Protections in COVID-19 Relief (5/1)
Joint Letter: Civil Rights, Consumer, Housing, and Real Estate Groups Urge U.S Treasury and Federal Regulators to Help Mortgage Servicers Maintain Liquidity (4/17)
Joint Letter: HUD Must Do Much More to Protect Older Reverse Mortgage Borrowers in the Coronavirus Epidemic (3/24/20)
NCST Letter to the OCC, FDIC, and Federal Reserve on “Joint Statement on CRA Consideration for Activities in Response to COVID-19” CRA Activities and Need to Halt Rulemaking (3/23/20)
Joint Letter: 63 Organizations Call for Credit and Debt Protections to Address Financial Distress from COVID-19 (3/23/20)
Joint Letter to Regulatory Agencies Requesting Extension of Public Comment Periods (3/20/20)
COVID-19 and Housing Resources
Upcoming Housing Webinars
June 15 (12:00-1:00pm EDT) – “Housing and Opportunity in Small and Midsize Cities” hosted by NYU Furman Center
June 16 (4:00-5:00pm EDT) – “The State of the Nation’s Housing 2021” hosted by the Joint Center for Housing Studies
June 21 (3:00-4:00pm EDT) – “Innovative Partnerships for Affordable Housing: Working Together to Respond, Stabilize and Recover” a conversation with HUD Secretary Marcia Fudge hosted by Enterprise Community Partners
June 23 (2:00-3:30pm EDT) – “Attracting Health Care Payors to Housing Investment” hosted by Enterprise Community Partners
June 29 (2:00-3:30pm EDT) – “New Communities and community land trusts in movements for Black lives, land and liberation” hosted by LISC
General Resource Guides
Housing Assistance Council: Coronavirus Resources and Response (focuses on rural housing)
The Wells Fargo/U.S. Conference of Mayors (USCM) CommunityWINSTM (Working/Investing in Neighborhood Stabilization) Grant Program is a collaborative effort between USCM, Wells Fargo Bank, and the Wells Fargo Foundation. The goal of the grant is to:
- Assist cities with the opportunity to invest, strengthen, and address housing affordability issues.
- Award $1,000,000 to support local nonprofit partners to cities of all sizes nationwide.
CARES Act Lending
Recast City: EIDL vs PPP (And what else can we do?)
Federal Policy Announcements
Main Street Lending Programs
To see state specific resources, please visit our COVID-19 + Housing: State Resources page.