NCST is hosting regularly scheduled listening sessions for our Community Buyers to hear about how COVID-19 and local conditions are affecting their work. NCST will also provide a policy update. Calls will be held each Wednesday from 12:30 – 1:30 EST throughout this time of national emergency.
Although we are holding weekly and bi-weekly calls, NCST understands that the local situation may be changing daily. Please reach out to your Community Development Manager or Asset Manager for assistance on specific properties or to provide feedback you feel would be helpful as we continue our national conversations.
NCST Webinar Recordings & Notes
Please reach out to Mariah at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on our email list for weekly webinar registration.
NCST COVID-19 Policy Agenda
For the duration of the pandemic, NCST’s highest priority will be to help support our Community Buyers and their neighborhoods and residents in whatever ways we can. So far, NCST has:
- Advocated for Congress to include the following provisions in emergency legislation:
- A foreclosure and eviction moratorium, excluding vacant properties;
- Mortgage forbearances (temporarily suspending payments) of 6 months or more if needed, not only for owner-occupants, but also for investors who own single-family (1-4 unit) properties, with the provision that landlords receiving payment relief pass that relief along to their tenants;
- Assistance for non-profits; and
- The inclusion of construction loans in any provisions for payment relief on other credit products.
- Requested that our nation’s regulators halt all non-COVID-19-related rulemaking until the current emergency is over.
NCST will continue to advocate for robust emergency measures to stem the impacts of COVID-19 on affordable housing and our communities. Moving forward, NCST will:
- Ensure our partners can continue to engage in single-family rehabilitation;
- Look for ways to help localities that are dealing with frozen real estate markets; and
- Advocate for policies to ensure homeowners benefit from the eventual real estate recovery.
NCST COVID-19 Policy Advocacy Resources
Joint Letter: Emergency Rental Assistance and Rental Market Stabilization Act (5/6)
Joint Request: Single Consumer-facing Portal on COVID Housing Relief (5/4)
Joint Letter: Housing Industry Coalition Letter in Support of Rental Assistance (5/4)
Joint Letter: Letter to Housing Regulators on Tenant Protections in CARES Act (5/1)
Joint Letter: Renewed Call for Credit and Debt Protections in COVID-19 Relief (5/1)
Joint Letter: Civil Rights, Consumer, Housing, and Real Estate Groups Urge U.S Treasury and Federal Regulators to Help Mortgage Servicers Maintain Liquidity (4/17)
Joint Letter: HUD Must Do Much More to Protect Older Reverse Mortgage Borrowers in the Coronavirus Epidemic (3/24/20)
NCST Letter to the OCC, FDIC, and Federal Reserve on “Joint Statement on CRA Consideration for Activities in Response to COVID-19” CRA Activities and Need to Halt Rulemaking (3/23/20)
Joint Letter: 63 Organizations Call for Credit and Debt Protections to Address Financial Distress from COVID-19 (3/23/20)
Joint Letter to Regulatory Agencies Requesting Extension of Public Comment Periods (3/20/20)
June 23, (3:30-4:30pm EDT) – “Regulatory Ripple Effects” hosted by AltiSource
General Resource Guides
Housing Assistance Council: Coronavirus Resources and Response (focuses on rural housing)
CARES Act Lending
Recast City: EIDL vs PPP (And what else can we do?)
Federal Policy Announcements
To see state specific resources, please visit our COVID-19 + Housing: State Resources page.